Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Well I got this painting in the Oil Painters of America Regional show up in Jackson. I’ll send it off next month for their October show. Unfortunately the opening night is the same time I have my exhibition up at Howard/Mandville Gallery, so I won’t be able to make it to the OPA show.

Last night we had our model session again at Rick’s again. I’ve been experimenting with using some of Anders Zorn’s colors.

Everyone knows the self portrait piece he did, where he shows his pallet containing just cadmium red light, yellow ochre, titanium white and ivory black. Well I tried this piece below with the same colors; it’s a little hard without yellow and blue, but still for a figure just maybe it can be pulled off. It would have been richer with the addition of those two missing colors, but then again what would I be learning about the artist?

When you look up close at some of Zorn’s interior figure works you can see that he used a very limited pallet range and was able to create master pieces. Now of course he used more colors when needed, especially with water. I’ve looked in his Studio up at Mora, where they still have his pallet by the easel. When he died they found in his studio 243 tubes of paint, of which 17 were tubes of Cobalt blue. So, yes he did use blue !!!

Still its fun to try mixing the portrait with just a limited pallet!

Richard Boyer

No comments:

Post a Comment