Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday

Still battling this obnoxious cold, now its moved down into the chest and I'm loosing my voice….good thing I'm an artist, alone in the studio. At least I don't have to deal with the general public.


We had the crit session last night, also a skeleton crew of four. From their input I added more lights and detail to the center section of this night scene. Now I think its ready for Southam Gallery. One point being, although its a night view of Salt Lake City, I did not use any black paint. All the darks were mixed with cobalt blue and indian red or transparent red oxide; then to knock down the resulting purple I would add some Raw Sienna. I'm finding this made for a richer color and by varying the mixture I could get the subtle nuances in the buildings structure without having it pop out too much in value.


This painting I was inspired by one morning when I had to get my daughter up at 6:00 am for school. I do that every morning but on this day the clouds were catching the morning sun as it came up over the Wasatch Mountains and they looked so cool.  It was fun to work on this 18x24 and hopefully Southam Gallery can find an interested buyer.

Richard Boyer

No comments:

Post a Comment