Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wednesday


Yesterday I was back to work on this 24x36 from Stockholm. I spent much of the morning working on the boats, with the light and shadow of the noonday sun. The fun part was adding the smoke from the one ferry boats as it drifted up across the buildings. It makes a nice haze to the work.

I also blasted in some waves in the water from a boat that had just past by. The direction of the waves adds a nice lead-in to the painting.


This morning I spent my time defining the water better and adding more highlights to the waves. I've been adding quite a lot of yellow to the water which comes from the sky; so now the paint is rather thick in the foreground, impasto as they say. I'm liking the way its turning out now, but still I'll set it aside for a few days and look at it with a fresh eye in a few days.

Richard Boyer

No comments:

Post a Comment